The Chevrolet SS is the first V8 powered, rear-wheel-drive, four-door sedan since 1996, and will be the car Chevrolet features in this year’s NASCAR Sprint Cup series. Chevrolet will be the only manufacturer in the series offering a V8 powered rear-wheel-drive for consumers to purchase.
The Chevrolet SS is powered by the LS3 small-block V8 engine. The engine, which is actually larger than the one in its NASCAR counterpart, features a fuel-injected, 6.2-liter, engine that is estimated by GM to deliver 415 horsepower and 415 lb.-ft. of torque. The engine is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission that can be shifted manually using TAPshift technology, and accelerates from 0-60 in an estimated 5 seconds.
The Chevrolet SS is very well equipped with standard equipment found in many luxury sedans including a leather-appointed interior, 10-way power adjustable front bucket seats, Chevy MyLink with GPS-based navigational system, a Bose® nine-speaker premium sound system, and a fully-adjustable heads-up display that projects vehicle information such as speed onto the windshield without requiring the driver to take his or her eyes off the road.
A comprehensive suite of standard safety technologies include:
• StabiliTrak Electronic Stability Control
• Forward Collision Alert
• Lane Departure Warning
• Side Blind Zone Alert and a rear-vision camera with Cross Traffic Alert
The SS also includes Automatic Parking Assist, which provides the driver of the SS hands-free parking assistance.
The Chevrolet SS originates from the proven, race-tested, global rear-wheel drive architecture that is the foundation for the Camaro, Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle and Holden’s VF Commodore. The Chevrolet SS will be produced by Holden and shipped into the U.S. from Australia.
THE 2014 CHEVROLET SS QUICK NOTES
• SS is the first V8-powered rear-wheel drive sedan to
enter the Chevrolet portfolio in 17 years
• This high-performance four-door vehicle is for
performance enthusiasts seeking an exhilarating drive
experience while providing luxury sedan style, comfort,
convenience and safety
• SS will also serve as Chevrolet’s winning entry into the
popular NASCAR® Sprint Cup Series
• SS is based on GM’s Global Rear Wheel Drive
architecture which underpins Camaro and the all-new
• SS will be produced to order (no selling out of port).
Production is scheduled to start in Australia during Q3,
with first units scheduled to arrive in dealerships late Q4
• SS volume is in line with other V8-powered rear-wheel-drive
• SS provides a highly refined, yet aggressive exterior and
interior design with features that include HID headlamps,
front bucket heated and ventilated seating and
• SS has a performance car “stance” and wide track with
19-inch wheels and tires1
• SS is closely related to the NASCAR® Sprint Cup racecar
PERFORMANCE & HANDLING
• SS is rear-wheel drive and includes a 6.2L V8 engine
(LS3) with 415 horsepower2 (small block V8 technology
shared with its NASCAR counterpart)
• SS includes a standard six-speed automatic
transmission with manual TAPshift® controls that give
you command over the gear selection for an exhilarating
drive experience, while keeping your transitions smooth
• SS has a 0-to-60 mph time that rivals many performance
coupes (5 seconds)2
• SS incorporates a sport-tuned suspension (front
MacPherson strut-based multi-link system and rear
multilink independent system) and electric power
steering (EPS) for a connected driving feel
• SS has standard StabiliTrak® Electronic Stability Control
system and track-capable front Brembo® brakes that
contribute to its road-holding capabilities
• SS offers Automatic Parking Assist, a system that works
to provide hands-free parking by accurately detecting
space and working with you to steer into the space
• SS comes standard with a Bose® Premium Sound System
and Chevrolet MyLink3 with a color touch-screen that
lets you speak to friends and family safely while driving
using Bluetooth®4 technology, enjoy your favorite music
or news programs and find your favorite places around
town (with standard navigation)
• SS provides the latest in safety technologies, including
Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning, Side
Blind Zone Alert, and Rear Vision Camera with Rear Cross
1 Summer performance tires should not be used for driving in winter conditions. Doing so will adversely affect vehicle safety, performance, and durability. An alternate tire should be used
in winter conditions. Summer-only tires tend to wear faster and are more susceptible to damage from road hazards or curb impact than standard profile tires. Use only GM-approved tire
and wheel combinations. Unapproved combinations may change the vehicle’s performance characteristics. For important tire and wheel information, go to gmaccessorieszone.com or see
your dealer for details.
2 GM estimates.
3 MyLink functionality varies by model. Full functionality requires compatible Bluetooth and smartphone, and USB connectivity for some devices.
4 Go to gm.com/Bluetooth to find out which phones are compatible with the vehicle.